Since its birth, the venerable glassware company Salviati has had the mission to preserve and revitalize the art of Venetian glassmaking. The house was founded in 1859 by Antonio Salviati, a lawyer, who was enamored with the mythical lagoon city of Venice and wanted to revive the Venetian glass industry that had been eclipsed by both English and Bohemian glass.
Employing the best Murano glass makers and technicians, Salviati developed a new method of making mosaic with glass, which rapidly found favor in European courts and capitals before conquering America and Asia.
Following this success, Antonio Salviati founded a school so that artists could come and learn glass working techniques.
In the 19th century, Salviati became property of the Camerino family who decided to focus on the production of decorative objects and lighting.
In 1960 Luciano Gaspari, the Artistic Director gave Salviati a new creative impulse through frequent collaboration with architects such as Sergio Asti and Romano Chirivi as well as with international designers such as Heinz Oestergaard and Claire Falkenstein. Today, this tradition continues with Salviati collaborating with an honor roll of the world’s most gifted designers and architects including Nigel Coates, Tom Dixon and Ingo Maurer.